Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Of Blubbering, Bribery, and a Gratuitous Cheeseball

Yesterday I had to make a trip to the city to get a tile-saw blade for Nathan. He had gotten one that turned out to have the wrong size center hole. Seems that this tile saw needs an unusual sized blade. I had a pretty hard time finding one, too, and the one that I ended up getting is a leetle bit big. Here's hoping it doesn't go flying.

Anyway, Jonah wanted to go with me so badly that he got himself in the car when I was in the bathroom. Normally, this would be fine. I take him everywhere with me, and he's a great little traveler. He likes to be out and about. The thing is, he still seems to be a little under the weather (aside: Somebody please tell me where that expression came from! "Under the weather." I know what it means, but what does it mean?) from that fever that he had over the weekend. He pretty much laid around on any available surface all morning yesterday-- I couldn't imagine dragging him around in stores and getting in and out of the hot car. He was desperate to get out of the house, but I don't think he knew what he was in for.

So I tried to reason with him. I pleaded with him. And then, I bribed him. My angle was to avoid the inevitable tantrum. "You can stay here with Daddy! Daddy will let you watch a movie!" That's huge, movie-watching. A rare treat. Didn't work.

"IwannagowithYOOOUUU!"

So I tried again, "I'll bring you a present!" (Go ahead. Marvel at my stunning parenting skills.)

"IWAAANNAAGOWITHYOOOUUUU!!!"

So I carried him in the house.

The Tantrum ensued.

So he did watch a movie, and had a nap (good thing I left him home!). And I got to browse the clearance racks by myself.

So when I walked in the door several hours later, the first thing I heard was, "You bringed me a present?"

Yes. Yes, I did.




2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you have a blog. It makes my day. Every day. That you post.

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. ME TOO

    MINE TOO

    Could you start posting, like, six times a day?

    Jonah!! Come to Grandma! Woo Hoo!!

    ReplyDelete