Sunday, November 2, 2008

Dreary Fall Day

The light wasn't all that good for taking pictures this morning after church. But there is a beautiful cemetery surrounding our church and it's always at it's loveliest in the fall. The big maples that surround it turn vibrant colors and give the cemetery and ethereal quality. The leaves are almost all gone and I'm running out of time for fall shots this year. So I took pictures anyway. I decided I'd just have to see what I could do with them.

In this photo, I just did all my usual edits in an attempt to brighten it up and make it more cheerful.



Eh. Whatever. Doesn't strike me. Cemeteries aren't meant to be cheerful. There's so much doubt and mystery about the people buried there. Especially in this cemetery with stones dating back to the 1860's.

So, with this one, I left the color alone and "blew out the lights" a little bit to emphasize the old stone against the trees.





Then I thought, why not bring out the dreary fall day that it is? You know, like in the movies-- every time anyone is buried, it's in the fall with leaves blowing around, and it's almost always raining or cold and drab.

There's just something about fall in a cemetery. It brings out the consequences of The Fall.

So then there's this:



For the wages of sin is death;

but the gift of God is eternal life
through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Roman's 6:23

No comments:

Post a Comment