Saturday, September 27, 2008

Finally, the Truth Comes Out

I just heard about an awesome new book called Fat by Jennifer McLagan. I cannot wait to read this book. Seriously. It's all about animal fats and how good they are and about American's bad relationship with food in general. It sounds fantastic. Maybe this is the beginning. Maybe, the low-fat myth will be dispelled... someday.

Here's an excerpt from a great interview with the author:

Eating less animal fat hasn't made us healthier or thinner. We have reduced the amount of animal fat we eat, but statistics show the total amount of fat in our diet has increased. Vegetable fats have been replaced by animal fats, which has resulted in a huge increase in polyunsaturated fat in our diet (which can depress your immune system). We've also added man-made trans fats to the mix, which everyone now agrees are not good for us.

It's difficult to blame obesity on one thing. But it is definitely not consumption of animal fats. I think there are many causes -- the way we eat, alone, in the car, walking down the street, the constant snacking. Increased consumption of low-fat, fat-free "foods" results in us eating more sugars and carbohydrates. These products don't satisfy our hunger and leave us wanting to eat more. Eating good animal fat does, so you eat less.

Yes. Yes, yes, yes! I am so excited about this book! Go read the article. Lots of good stuff there.

5 comments:

  1. my grandparents always thought that the day people starting eating in front of the tv (disconnected eating) is the day people started getting fat. I love reading, I will check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is an apparent error here. Maybe the author misspoke?
    "Vegetable fats have been replaced by animal fats..."
    Shouldn't it be the other way around?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree. But, our animal fats are different today from 30 years ago as a result of the feed we give our graizing animals. Cows eat grass...not corn.

    Anyway, I'll have to check this book out too because eating a natural diet is something I strive to do and feeding my animals the foods they eat in nature is something I'm working hard to accomplish too.

    There, now I've commented....and it was painful, but I know everybody does love a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woohoo! A comment from April! :-P

    True point about the fats. This is something I'm struggling with, too... I can't seem to find decent stuff to feed them! I let them free range and I'm experimenting with a grub bucket and sprouting, but what the heck are they supposed to eat in the winter? "Please, sir, I just want some corn... without the GMO. Oh, and chicken scratch without soy, thanks. Got any unrolled barley that I can spout?" Not happenin. Arg.

    Mom-- guess that must be a misspeak... seems like it should be the other way around...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen sister! I was blessedly raised on butter and fatty burgers and never bought the low fat bizness. The more I read, the more I believe in low carb and plenty of animal fat along with lots of good veggies and meat and such. Mmm.. butter. :)

    ReplyDelete