Monday, May 19, 2008

Work in Progress

As I type this, my kitchen floor is being installed. It's going to be a GORGEOUS oak floor. I love wood floors. I don't know how anyone could not love wood floors.

My floor is made and installed by our Amish neighbor, Enos. He and a couple young Amish guys and Nathan are working on it.

I would love to show you a picture of them working on this. I would love for you to see how they don't let the grass grow over their feet, they just get down to business and get the job done. Many hands make light (and cheerful) work. It's amazing to watch the efficiency and speed of this task. I also wish you could hear them speaking to each other in their pleasantly stilted German.

I would also love to show you how Jonah is right there with his little hammer, pounding away alongside the men, learning to work like a man.

However, the Amish don't care to have their pictures taken (as far as I am aware), much less have pictures posted on the internet. (Okay, so I have taken some sneaky pictures a couple of times, but they're just for me...)

So, I'm respecting that, and just trying to store the images away in my mind. But I wish you could see.

Also, I'm making cookies. Many hands need mush refreshing. And the Amish like their cookies... a lot.

1 comment:

  1. You can take their picture as long as their faces aren't prominent. So I'm sure you could fanagle an angle. They think pictures (of faces) are "graven images".

    I would love to see the work being done by them. What a special event and it will be neat to look back on years from now. But you'll need pictures.

    ReplyDelete