Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Mmmmm... Sage Pinapple Fried Potatoes

I always have this dilema- What am I going to make for supper tonight? It's been worse lately because I haven't gotten groceries in for.ev.er. As it is, I only get groceries once a month, so I often deal with this, but it forces creativity and makes me use up what I have instead of spending more money.

Case in point:

Tonight I made (nothing gourmet, rather, one of my cop-out-I-don't-know-what-else-to-make meals) some fried potatoes. I started out by cooking some unseasoned pork sausage (common among the Amish, so we ended up with some.) with a sliced onion. Then I added my sliced potatoes with a good long pour of bacon fat (Mmmm! I usually use chicken fat skimmed from stock, but bacon fat is even better!). So as I'm stirring them around, I'm thinking of what else I could add. Hmm, chives might be good, now that I have herbs outside... Wait! Sage would be even better!" So I went out and picked a handful of sage and tore it up into the potatoes. "Say," I thought, "this smells good... I have some organic pineapple chunks left in the fridge..." so I added those. Salt and pepper... and ooooh yum!





Pay no attention to the messy stove... I wipe it everyday, but I'm a sloppy cook, okay?

Anyway. Jonah had to have ketchup. Stinker. I had mine with a whachagot pinacolada. (Pineapple juice, coconut milk, vodka, pinch stevia. Not great, but it went down smooth...)

Quick, easy, yum.

6 comments:

  1. And you were accusing ME of sounding like mom....

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I think she's reading too much Pioneer Woman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom doesn't drink vod-ker. Then again, it's vodka, so who knows...? Maybe thats how she dealt (deals) with 7 kids

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the strangest comment thread ever. I mean, HUH?

    I don't sound like Mom, cuz Mom doesn't cook so frugal and un-gourmet...

    It's nothing like PW, because it wasn't step-by-step with photos, and I didn't go on about the supposedly-evil fat content (which is fabulous in this dish, BTW).

    And who said anything about Mom drinking Vodka? (Although, he has a point. I couldn't figure out how her liquor cabinet is so full of almost-empty bottles...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uhh "What should I make for dinner tonight??"


    DON'T get my started on how mom whines (over wine) about it.

    Aaand I give her ideas, then she ends up making risotto. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nah, the empty booze cabinet was from yours truely

    ReplyDelete