Tuesday, December 1, 2009

It's a Puzzlement

I just put a pot of turkey wild rice soup to simmer on the stove for supper. Jonah helped me make it. While I was ladling the broth from the stock pot where it's been simmering all day to the soup pot, Jonah asked for some to drink. He certainly didn't need to ask twice-- I gave him a little juice glass of that nutritious bone broth with a shake of salt and some water to cool it. He drank it up and asked for more. And more. And more. The whole time I was making the soup, he sat on a stool by me and talked about the ingredients and sipped cups of broth.

So he will happily drink plain broth by the glass (after glass, after glass, after glass).

I also gave him some small bites of cold turkey as I was cutting it up. And he even nibbled a few grains of uncooked wild rice, just to see what it was like.

Also-- he loves vegetables. I mean, adores them. It's always the first thing he eats on him plate. Broccoli? Yum! Ooooh, green beans! Carrots! Beets! Sweet potatoes! Asparagus! As long as it isn't onions, which he loathes for some reason, he'll eat it happily. Even raw garlic. No kidding.

Sound like a dream child? Well...

However. (And here's the very big "however.")

Put all these things together and call it soup?

Fuhgetaboudit. Not eating it.

I mean, I guess I really shouldn't complain. As long as I making food in which everything is separate, he'll eat like a champ.

He's also this way about stew, pot pie, and pretty much anything else mixed together.

I just don't get it. I always thought if the ingredients are good by themselves, they're even better all together-- they enhance each other. But not Jonah. I'm sure it's just the immaturity of his developing palate and I'm sure he'll grow out of it.

I just find it slightly bemusing and quite baffling.

2 comments:

  1. My kids are the same way. But once I get them to start, they remember that it's not that bad. I also bribe them with cornbread or biscuits. If they eat at least half of their bowl of soup, they can have a piece. Most of the time they finish the entire bowl before they realize that they forgot about the bread!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a stage, he will outgrow it.

    I love your new blog header!!!! BEAUTIFUL.

    Are you feeling better?

    ReplyDelete