Sunday, August 23, 2009

Apple Time


Overheard in the kitchen while fresh corn chowder simmered on the stove, pizza sauce processed in the canner, and Daddy and Jonah chunked up our very own apples for sauce:

Jonah, seeing Nathan's wedding ring: "Daddy, when I grow up, can I wear a ring?"

Nathan: "Well... it has to mean something. Find a good wife, Lord willing, who knows how to take good care of you, and then maybe you'll wear a ring."

Me: "Yeah. Don't you dare have a wife who doesn't know how to take care of you. I'd have to come and have some words with both of you. And I'd be the obnoxious mother-in-law. Aaaand this line of thinking is getting weird..."

---

Me: "Jonah, can I have another apple, please, sir?"

Jonah, with the job of handing the apples out of the sink: "No. Why?"

---

Me, peaking into the nearly-full apple pot: "Hmmm... Do those last few apples in the sink and that should be enough."

Nathan: "Okay."

Jonah: "Yeah, do those last few apples and that will be enough."

Nathan: "Yes, Mother."

Jonah: "Haha! Yes, Mother!"

Nathan: "I was talking to you!"

Jonah: "Me?"

Me: "Yeah, you, you little nag!" And then poking him, "Are you a nag?"

Nathan, singing: "This little Jonah nag of mine! I'm gonna let him whine! This little Jonah nag of mine, I'm gonna let him whine!"

Me, tickling Jonah: "Don't you try to tickle him, I'm gonna let him whine! Let him whine, let him whine, all the time!"


1 comment: