Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Health Care Allegory

I just stumbled across this hilarious and very telling story. It's an allegorical tale of the town of Allopath and it's trouble with traffic accidents. Here's a small excerpt to whet your appetite:

After weeks of investigation, Dr. West called the people of Allopath to a town meeting for the release of his report. There, in front of the city council and most of the residents of Allopath, he announced his findings: "Traffic accidents are caused by skid marks."

As Dr. West explained, he found and documented a near-100 percent correlation between traffic accidents and skid marks. "Wherever we find these cars colliding," he explained, "we also find these skid marks."


I'm sure you'll quickly see what the story is really all about... So go read it! It's short and fun and clear as day.

2 comments:

  1. Good story. It's a pity that such allegories tend to be wasted on the target audience, as they only make sense to those who already know what's going on...
    One plea, KT: In nearly all your posts lately you've been using it's and its interchangably and it drives me nuts. Your writing is so good otherwise - don't help the apostrophe misuse along!
    Wia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wia-- Hahahaa! That made me laugh. I can pretend to be indignant as I know VERY WELL the difference between "it's" and "its". But I'm not really indignant. Like I said before, I'm ashamed to admit to have been relying on spellchecker WAY to much lately and of course, it doesn't catch those kind of problems. I've been typing fast and proofreading very little which leads to stupid mistakes. Those kind of things drive me bonkers in other people's writing as well.

    Thank you for pointing it out, I humbly accept the wet-noodle lashes, and I'll do better. Really. :-D

    Oh and yeah, nothing like preaching to the choir. Wouldn't it be great if something like that were published in the New York Times or something? Ha.

    ReplyDelete