Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Cut and Paste

Jonah has really been into making things lately. He's not too big on coloring. I think he's too impatient. He just scribbles around with the crayons or markers and calls it done. What can I say? He's a boy.

But now he's developed an obsession with glue. At first, I let him have a small bottle of Elmer's unsupervised. I knew that he knows what to do with it, so I cautioned him to only use a little and then left him to it. Big mistake. I came back to a sticky puddle on my table.

So the next time I was at the store, I picked up a glue stick. This can still make a decent mess, but not nearly as bad. At first, he could not figure out how to make pieces of paper look like what he had in mind. After coaching him through several projects ("To make a butterfly, you have to cut out a body and four wings..."), he's suddenly developed the co-ordination and foresight to do it on his own.

He made this all by himself, all the cutting and gluing. At one point he wanted me to help with some of the tiny pieces, but I was just not doing it right. Sigh. You know what they say, if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.





Can you see what it is and what each piece is? (Make sure to note the tiny little piece on the end right by the scissors, if you can see it.)

3 comments:

  1. I think it's an airplane..


    Though it could also be a teeter-totter....

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first thought was a ship. Then maybe the teeter totter idea, or a submarine. He will have to tell us.

    ReplyDelete