Saturday, May 9, 2009

Spring Dreams


I love spring. Everything is green and bursting with floral decadence.

Sometimes, when I'm in my yard admiring what few flowers I am blessed with and thanking the Lord for a reprieve from the cold misery of the last six months, and I look around in just such a way, at just such an angle...


...I can almost imagine that my gardens might look more like a beautiful, manicured court-yard garden...




Just like that, I am strolling through in glorious sunshine, admiring the fresh spring blooms.







Then I catch myself and run back inside to don a lovely, ephemeral and high-waisted number like this:



Thus properly attired, I return to my reverie.





As I stoop to inhale the perfume of some heavily scented lilacs...


...I happen to glance from the corner of my eye and see a person in the distance.

My heart catches in my throat...

Can it be? Is it really him?

Why... yes...

I quickly smooth my dress and pull my shawl a little closer over my shoulders.

I take a few breaths in a futile attempt to calm my pounding heart...



He approaches as I adjust my bonnet.








It is him. My own dear Mr. Darcy Nathan.


He greets me politely, "How do you do..."







No, wait. Scratch that. As this is a revisionist fantasy and I've always preferred Colonel Brandon...





There. That's better.



Now, where were we? Oh, yes...

He greets me with a polite bow and I answer with a modest curtsy. We speak of pleasantries, somewhat tensely as we maintain our sense of propriety, and stroll off to tour the gardens together, dreaming of our future...


4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Thanks for the laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so hilarious.
    And the girl in the dress is you, too! (Anne?)

    Nathan....amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay
    So I was going to dismiss this post under the "please shut up" category. Then I saw Nathan photoshopped. And then I almost died. Then I did die. Then I was alive again, just because Nathan was so funny that I had to laugh again.
    Now, somehow, I ended up hooked to cardio-electro paddles and a shot of epinephrine. Anyway, the point is-
    Keep up the good work.

    Oh me funny bone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most unique post. Spring has arrived and your garden is lovely! The formal garden not so appealing for a home, the photo shopping for the husband, is something I simply must learn. Sam Elliot for me.

    Happy Mothers Day!

    ReplyDelete