Sunday, December 6, 2009

The First of the Christmas Cookies

Because it's the Second Sunday in Advent, and not the least of all because my sweet husband admitted to a raging sweet tooth, I decided that Jonah and I could get started on the Christmas baking today.



We made my favorite childhood Christmas cookie. It's a yummy cream cheese cookie with walnuts and three chocolate chips on top (except now I like to use Ghirardeli dark chocolate chips-- yum!). I've since started referring to them as "Trinity Cookies" when Nathan asked several years ago just what was "Christmas" about them. So I told Jonah that the three chocolate chips represent the Holy Trinity --Father, Son and Holy Spirit-- and we talked about that while we baked.





When I was a kid, making these was a great family activity, since the littler ones can have the job of placing the three chocolate chips. Depending on the age of the kid, the chips don't always end up in a neat little triangle. But Jonah is at a good age for it this year and did pretty well.




Yummy! Now I feel like Advent is officially upon us.

Now I'm going to be a Very Bad Blogger and not post the recipe. The reason for this is that I think I have the recipe wrong. Yes, I've been making them for years, and I'm not sure I've been doing it right. I mean, they taste great, but the dough never seems to come together right and I always have to keep adjusting it until it does. Soooo... maybe my sister or my Mom will be kind enough to post the real recipe in the comments?

Would the real Cream Cheese Trinity Cookie recipe please stand up?

3 comments:

  1. I'm way too busy right now to do it - birthday party is imminent - so maybe tomorrow. But I just want to tell you that this is another recipe that came from Good Housekeeping in those early days of having my own household. The recipe only called for one chocolate chip which was SO not enough chocolate for me, so I did three.
    I've also made these for Expertec and added ground chocolate (chips in the food processor) to the dough! Good variation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. think I'd like to try your recipe looks scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Pam Tomorrow never came... where's the recipe?

    ReplyDelete