Saturday, September 6, 2008

Flower Tower

I love sunflowers. They're so cheerful. I have a variety in my garden whose seeds I save every year (I have to be fast to get a few before the birds polish them off). I don't even know where it came from. It came up volunteer a few years ago and I had never planted one like it before. This particular type is an actual tower of sunflowers. It extends many feet above my head.


That's ONE plant. Covered in 6-10 inch flowers. They have long, straight stems so they're great for cutting. And it's nice to have so many that just keep going all summer. I have a giant seed variety that produces one gargantuan head and it gets so heavy that it droops down and faces the ground. The birds love it, but it's not quite as pretty as these.










They just brighten my day when I see them from my window!

Now... if only I could get a kind that blooms in February...

No comments:

Post a Comment