Friday, January 18, 2013

Nairplane


We rode on a "nairplane".  Or two.  And we survived.  Mostly.

 ("A nairplane", get it?  Say it outloud.  I love two-year-olds.)

We've been looking forward to this trip to visit family in Oregon for months now.  With a great deal on tickets, we thought everything was just great.  But the proverbial "fly in the ointment" always seems to turn into a big, giant, backstrocking beetle when kids are involved.  The kids have been sick and we very nearly canceled or postponed our trip.  But after a doctor consult and hundreds of dollars of supplements and intesnsive treatment, we decided to go for it. 



And it's been mostly fine, just a little more stressful. Or a lot more stressful.  I woke up hours earlier than necessary on the day we were leaving, took care of the coughing kids, and could not, not, NOT go back to sleep.  My brain and all it's anxiety kicked into overdrive and that was it.  I've been wishing lately that I had an "off" button.  Or, maybe just "standby".  I have so much trouble with sleep, and sickness, anxiety, and stress make it so much worse.   Sigh...

And what is it with the showtunes?  Seriously, that's what goes through my head when I'm anxious.  I lay there in bed for two hours with parts of Annie, My Fair Lady, Oklahoma  and Camelot going through my head.  You would think that says something about my focus and obsessions, but it's been years since I've heard most of those songs.  I mean, I hear hymns waaaaay more than showtunes, and yet, what does my brain go to when I'm stressed?  Earworms. 

Anyway.





But we're here, enjoying family time, trying to catch up on sleep, and dealing with the remnants of sickness.  It's good to get away and have a change of scenery, and my stress will undoubtedly recede.

2 comments:

  1. Yes it will. So glad you are getting this chance to see your fam! And glorious Oregon! Just don't watch any musicals while you're there, m'kay!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. your just tired and I am so glad you went on the trip. I love the babies long locks.
    Seems like the whole world is sick this year. Enjoy the time with your fammily and eat some good comfort food maybe you can nap. I think the showtunes are funny and with your quirky self absolutely perfect.

    ReplyDelete